Report your sightings online
Welcome to our online sighting form. By analyzing reported sightings we are able to gain valuable information about species distribution patterns and aid in future recovery and management plans for species at risk.
If this is your first time here, please join our team by registering as a new user. Click here to sign up. We will only ever use your personal information to contact you if we have questions about your sightings. Once you’ve created your own login, you won’t have to enter in your personal data in the future, and when you log in you’ll be able to review all your previous sightings.
You can also reach us by email at email@example.com or via our toll-free reporting line: 1 866 I SAW ONE (472-9663)
For help in identifying cetaceans, be sure to check out the Identifying Species section of our web site.
Thank you for participating in the B.C. Cetacean Sightings Network!
Having trouble with the webform?
Please note we are currently upgrading our online reporting form to address errors including, but not limited to, missing scrollbars, missing maps and malfunctioning drop-down menus. If you’re experiencing any of the above problems when trying to log your sighting, the following may help:
- If you’re a smartphone user, report quickly and easily via our new, free WhaleReport app. Download WhaleReport for iOS devices here or Android devices here.
- Empty the cache on your web browser. For most browsers this can be done by looking under the ‘Settings’ or ‘Tools’ menu
- Reload or refresh the page
- 'Allow' the webpage to use your location if prompted. This will enable the Google Map to load so you can use it to place your sighting
- Try using Internet Explorer to view the page instead of Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome
- If you complete the form and click the submit button and nothing happens, don't worry, the sighting has likely been saved even if it doesn't show up on your submitted sightings list. If you don't hear from us within a few days of submitting the sighting, feel free to follow up via email.