Reporting your sightings
Please note we are currently in the process of updating our online reporting form. We are looking forward to bringing you a more user-friendly webform soon! There are several other ways to report your sightings of cetaceans and sea turtles to the B.C. Cetacean Sightings Network. The fastest and easiest way is to use our new smartphone app, WhaleReport.
You can also report your sightings by:
- Calling our toll-free hotline: 1.866.I.SAW.ONE
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using a hard-copy logbook (please call or email to request a free logbook)
Please remember to include the following information with each report:
- Date and time of sighting
- Location (detailed description and/or latitude and longitude)
- Group size
- Distance animals were from observer
- Sighting platform/vessel (if sighting occurred from a vessel please include name and length)
- Any interesting physical markings or behaviour observed
- Observer's full name
- Observer's email and/or phone number
By analyzing reported sightings we are able to gain valuable information about species distribution patterns and aid in future recovery and management plans for species at risk.
For help in identifying cetaceans, be sure to check out the Identifying Species section of our web site.
Thank you for participating in the B.C. Cetacean Sightings Network!